Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Jan 03, 2026

Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro Captured, Says Trump

The Venezuelan government says the attacks marked an attempt by the US to seize the country's oil resources.

Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro Captured, Says Trump
The US strikes and Maduro’s capture came just after he received a high-level Chinese delegation in Caracas on Friday.

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the US carried out a large-scale strike against Venezuela and President Nicolas Maduro, along with his wife, had been captured and flown out of the country.

"The United States of America has successfully carried out a large scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country," Trump posted on social media.

"This operation was done in conjunction with U.S. Law Enforcement. Details to follow. There will be a News Conference today at 11 A.M., at Mar-a-Lago. Thank you for your attention to this matter! President DONALD J. TRUMP," he added.

Maduro had declared national emergency in Venezuela when reports emerged of airstrikes being carried out against its capital Caracas and marshalled defence troops on Saturday. A US official confirmed the news to Reuters regarding the strikes.

The Venezuelan authorities reported that the states of Miranda, Aragua and La Guaira were also targeted by the strikes. They further alleged that both civilian and military infrastructure were targeted.

CBS News reported that Trump had given the go-ahead for the strikes a few days ago, but they were delayed due to other military operations gaining importance and weather conditions being unfavourable.

According to Bloomberg, this move marks the most severe escalation of the geopolitical tensions between Venezuela and the US after the latter firmed up military forces around the former, sanctioned a number of attacks on alleged drug-running boats and had Trump accusing Maduro of running a terrorist organisation.

The Venezuelan government said this marked an attempt by the US to seize the country's oil resources. Unconfirmed video footage showed aircraft flying over Caracas and what appeared to be a series of missile strikes on targets in urban areas.

"We call upon the peoples and governments of Latin America, the Caribbean, and the world to mobilize in active solidarity in the face of this imperial aggression," the government said in a statement.

(With Bloomberg inputs) 

Venezuela Accuses US Of Attack As Explosions Rock Caracas

Essential Business Intelligence, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice, Daily Fuel, Gold and Silver Prices and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search
Add NDTV Profit As Google Preferred Source
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com