Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Feb 19, 2017

Turnbull Declines New Zealand's Refugee Offer to Focus on U.S.

None

(Bloomberg) -- Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he has turned down an offer by his New Zealand counterpart to take 150 refugees from Australia's offshore detention camps, opting to concentrate on its pending deal with the U.S.

“This offer from New Zealand has been available for some time,” Turnbull said Saturday in Queenstown, New Zealand. “It is one we appreciate but our focus is on completing the arrangements with the United States.”

U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this month criticized the plan Australia signed with the Obama administration to send more than 1,000 refugees to the U.S. for resettlement. Trump in a late-night tweet said he would study the “dumb deal.”

Prime Minister Bill English brought up New Zealand's longstanding proposal to take in refugees during a visit by Turnbull.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jackie Edwards in Sydney at jedwards160@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Stanley James at sjames8@bloomberg.net, John McCluskey

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search