Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Jul 08, 2019

Iran Says Seized Oil Tanker in Gibraltar Wasn't Sailing to Syria

(Bloomberg) -- Iran said an oil tanker that was seized by British forces near Gibraltar wasn't destined for Syria.

The ship “was navigating in international waters,” Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said at a press conference in Tehran. He said the tanker wasn't heading toward Syria, without saying where the vessel was going. “We consider this an act of piracy.”

Read: Seized Gibraltar Tanker Starts What May Be Lengthy Legal Process

Grace 1, a supertanker able to haul 2 million barrels of crude, was arrested earlier this week on suspicion that it was going to breach European Union sanctions by delivering crude to Syria. The cargo came from Iran.

The Islamic Republic is consulting with the U.K. and Spain on the matter, Araghchi said.

--With assistance from Abbas Al Lawati.

To contact the reporter on this story: Arsalan Shahla in Dubai at ashahla@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Shaji Mathew at shajimathew@bloomberg.net, Mohammed Aly Sergie

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search