Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Jan 05, 2022

Tiananmen Memorial Removed in Hong Kong Is Now Free to Be Copied

The artist whose sculpture commemorating the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown was removed in Hong Kong says he's dropped the copyright so others can freely replicate and distribute the artwork.

Jens Galschiot said in an interview with Danish radio that he's gotten more than 40 inquiries from other artists and from demonstrators who want to create their own versions of the two-ton “Pillar of Shame” to support the democracy movement in Hong Kong.

Normally artists don't give their art away for free, but Galschiot said he's decided to do so because it's “important” that people see the artwork. The sculpture “is a reminder of the massacre at Tiananmen Square, of the democracy movement and of human rights,” the Danish artist said.

Hong Kong Art Removals Cap Push to Halt Tiananmen Memorials

Before its removal in December, the 8-meter (26-foot) structure had been on the campus of the University of Hong Kong for 24 years. Authorities said it posed legal and safety risks, though its removal came as the government moved to enforce strict new limits on free speech in the former British colony, including filing charges against dozens of prominent activists.

Artist Threatens to Sue Over ‘Brutal' Hong Kong Statue Removal

©2022 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search