Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Jul 17, 2019

Singer R. Kelly Ordered Held Without Bail in Teen-Girl Sex Case

(Bloomberg) -- A federal judge in Chicago said Grammy-winning R&B artist R. Kelly will remain in custody as he faces multiple charges related to alleged sex with minors.

Kelly, 52, was charged last week in sweeping indictments by federal prosecutors in New York and Chicago who accused the rapper of racketeering, kidnapping, child pornography and illegal sexual activity with at least 10 victims over two decades. The government says Kelly and his business manager tried to pay victims to keep them from disclosing videotapes that allegedly depict him having sex with the girls.

At a hearing Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber said the charges “are extremely serious” and denied Kelly's request to be freed on bail. The next hearing in the Chicago case was scheduled for Sept. 4.

Prosecutors argued Kelly posed a danger to the community and was a flight risk. Within the next 30 days, Kelly will either be sent to New York or will enter a plea in that court via video conference.

To contact the reporter on this story: Janan Hanna in Chicago at jhanna31@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Steve Stroth at sstroth@bloomberg.net

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search