Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Jan 06, 2020

Japan Ex-Minister Denies Receiving China Money in Casino Case

(Bloomberg) -- Japan's former defense minister Takeshi Iwaya denied receiving money from a Chinese company involved in a casino bribery scandal.

“I absolutely deny it,” Iwaya, a politician from the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, said in a televised press conference Saturday. “From the perspective of laws regulating political funds as well, it's impossible that I received donations from a foreign firm.”

Tokyo prosecutors arrested a ruling party lawmaker last month on suspicion of receiving bribes from the Chinese company seeking to invest in the casino sector, dealing a blow to already unpopular plans to open the country to the gaming industry.

Local media reported earlier the Chinese company under investigation said that five lawmakers including Iwaya had also received around 1 million yen ($9,252) each.

Iwaya has been a member of the ruling party's gambling resorts project team.

To contact the reporter on this story: Yuko Takeo in Tokyo at ytakeo2@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Shamim Adam at sadam2@bloomberg.net, Linus Chua

©2020 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search