Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Dec 29, 2020

Ugandan Ban on Campaign Rallies Favors Museveni, Opposition Says

STOCKS IN THIS STORY
Goenka Business & Finance Ltd.
--
Cosco (India) Ltd.
--
MSCI World
--
Pritika Auto Industries Ltd
--
SAB Events & Governance Now Media Ltd.
--
Regency Investments Ltd.
--
Lawreshwar Polymers Ltd.
--
TMT (India) Ltd.
--
Advance Lifestyles Ltd.
--
Nifty Media
--
BSE SmallCap Select
--

A ban on political campaign rallies in some parts of Uganda ahead of the Jan. 14 elections is meant to stymie President Yoweri Museveni's rivals, according to the opposition.

The Electoral Commission's suspension of campaign meetings in at least 12 of Uganda's 146 districts is expected to hamper Museveni's main challenger, pop star Bobi Wine, who's yet to hold rallies in those areas, his spokesman, Joel Ssenyonyi, said Monday by phone from the capital, Kampala. The agency says the ban is to stem the spread of Covid-19.

Museveni, who's ruled the East African nation for 34 years, has already toured most of the affected areas, Ssenyonyi said. Bobi Wine, 38, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi, poses an inter-generational challenge and security forces have repeatedly disrupted his rallies violently. Scores of people were killed in riots after he was briefly detained last month.

“The EC was deliberate about targeting districts which Hon. Kyagulanyi has not campaigned in yet and where there's massive support for him,” Ssenyonyi said. “It's ironic that they are stopping campaigns around the same time when Mr. Museveni ends his campaigns.”

The commission ordered that campaigns in the affected areas should continue virtually and threatened to altogether ban meetings by defiant candidates. The opposition alleges that authorities have denied them access to media stations nationwide.

The ruling National Resistance Movement is “not happy with suspension as they have fielded candidates at various levels in these areas,” said Paul Bukenya, the commission's spokesman. The agency has approached the Uganda Communications Commission to prevail upon broadcasters to allow access for candidates, he said.

Museveni, 76, is vying against 10 challengers, including a former army commander and an ex-security minister.

©2020 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search