Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Mar 08, 2019

Rafale Documents Not Stolen, Petitioners Used Photocopies, Says Attorney General

Rafale Documents Not Stolen, Petitioners Used Photocopies, Says Attorney General
A French Air Force Rafale fighter jet manufactured by Dassault Aviation SA performs maneuvers during an aerobatic flying display in Singapore. (Photographer: SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg)

Attorney General KK Venugopal said the Rafale documents were not stolen from the Defence Ministry and that what he meant in his submission before the Supreme Court was that petitioners in the application used “photocopies of the original” papers, deemed secret by the government.

His comments in the apex court on Wednesday that Rafale fighter jet deal documents were stolen caused a political row, with Congress President Rahul Gandhi targeting the government over stealing of such sensitive papers and seeking a criminal investigation.

“I am told that the opposition has alleged what was argued (in Supreme Court) was that files had been stolen from the Defence Ministry. This is wholly incorrect,” he told PTI, in an apparent damage-control exercise.

Venugopal said the application filed by Yashwant Sinha, Arun Shourie and Prashant Bhushant, seeking from the court a review of its verdict dismissing pleas for a probe into against the Rafale deal, had annexed three documents which were photocopies of the original.

Official sources said the Attorney General's use of word stolen was probably “stronger” and could have been avoided.

The government had also warned The Hindu newspapers with a case under Official Secrets Act for publishing articles based on these documents.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search