Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Mar 01, 2019

South Africa Says Mining Deaths Resume Decline to 81 Last Year

(Bloomberg) -- The number of workers killed in South African mines fell to 81 last year after an improved safety performance offset a spike in fatal accidents early in the year.

The figure compares with 90 deaths in 2017, the Department of Mineral Resources said on Twitter on Friday. That year, the number of fatalities increased for the first time in a decade. South Africa's mines are among the world's deepest and least mechanized, typically relying on older, labor-intensive mining methods.

Read: 'Will I Come Back Dead?' Human Costs of South African Gold

In the gold industry, which is characterized by depleting and increasingly deep ore-bodies, there were 40 deaths last year. The platinum sector reported 29 fatalities.

The situation appears improved so far this year, with five deaths reported, compared with 14 at the same point in 2018, the ministry said.

--With assistance from Paul Burkhardt and Felix Njini.

To contact the reporter on this story: Liezel Hill in Johannesburg at lhill30@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Lynn Thomasson at lthomasson@bloomberg.net, Gordon Bell

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search