Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Jun 14, 2018

Sibanye Says Bodies of Five Workers Recovered at Its Kloof Mine

(Bloomberg) -- Sibanye Gold Ltd. said the bodies of five mineworkers lost at its Kloof mine in South Africa have been located and recovered in the latest accident at the its operations in the country.

“The bodies of all five employees who entered an abandoned area on Monday have now been recovered and sadly five colleagues lost their lives in this tragic accident,” the Westonaria, South Africa-based company said in a statement on Thursday.

Sibanye, which is the biggest gold mining employer in the country and operates some of the deeper mines, employs 64,502 people including contractors in South Africa, where mine safety has been a problem for decades. While safety has improved since the end of apartheid, fatalities in the sector increased last year for the first time in a decade.

To contact the reporter on this story: Felix Njini in Johannesburg at fnjini@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Alastair Reed at areed12@bloomberg.net

©2018 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search