Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Mar 27, 2024

Renault Reaps €362 Million From Selling More Of Its Nissan Stake

Renault Reaps €362 Million From Selling More Of Its Nissan Stake
A Renault Megane E-tech EV.
STOCKS IN THIS STORY
Goenka Business & Finance Ltd.
--
Cosco (India) Ltd.
--
Nifty Capital Markets
--
MSCI World
--
Pritika Auto Industries Ltd
--
Nifty EV & New Age Automotive
--
Cons Discretionary Goods & Serv
--
MSCI AC Asia ex-Japan
--
Nifty BHARAT Bond Index - April 2033
--
Ajmera Realty & Infra India Ltd.
--
Ajmera Realty & Infra India Ltd.
--
MSCI AC Asia ex-Japan
--

Renault SA is selling a second tranche of its remaining stake in Japanese partner Nissan Motor Co., which may help the French carmaker return to an investment grade rating.

The maker of Megane E-Tech cars plans to offload around 2.5% of its holding with proceeds expected of as much as €362 million ($391 million) for Renault, the manufacturer said Wednesday. 

Renault last year started loosening ties with its long-time partner Nissan after their alliance had soured over the years. The French company sold an initial tranche of shares late last year, netting €765 million, part of a plan to lower its stake in Nissan to 15% from an initial 43%.  

The selldown of the holding in Nissan is giving Renault more financial firepower after the company decided to scrap the planned initial public offering of its electric-vehicle and software arm Ampere. 

Read More: Renault Selling Part of Nissan Stake to Partner for €765 Million

Nissan plans to cancel all of the roughly 100 million shares following the transaction, the carmaker said Wednesday. The sale will result in a capital loss of as much as €450 million for Renault, set to impact group net income but not operating income.

The shares to be sold are part of the 24.6% of Nissan capital still held by a French trust, set up as part of the complex untangling of parts of the alliance. Since forging a new agreement, Renault has moved away from common structures with Nissan in favor of a new, project-by-project approach to working together, including in India.

Renault Chief Executive Officer Luca de Meo, Chairman Jean-Dominique Senard and Nissan CEO Makoto Uchida are holding an alliance operating board meeting in India this week and will hold a joint press briefing later Wednesday.

The two carmakers now have a direct cross-shareholding of 15% with lock-up and standstill obligations, allowing the alliance to continue on more equitable terms.

More stories like this are available on bloomberg.com

©2024 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search