Indian & Chinese troops have disengaged at Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June. 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at stand-off location: Indian Army (1/2) pic.twitter.com/WrgNjPik3H
The Ministry of External Affairs said that the violent face-off between Indian and Chinese troops as the latter did not respect the Line of Actual Control in the Galwan Valley.
“On the late-evening and night of June 15, 2020 a violent face-off happened as a result of an attempt by the Chinese side to unilaterally change the status quo there,” MEA Spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said in a media statement. “Both sides suffered casualties that could have been avoided had the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side.”
The statement said that India and China have been discussing de-escalation of the situation in the border area of Eastern Ladakh. Senior and ground commanders had a series of meetings to implement this consensus.
While India was expecting things to unfold smoothly, the statement said, the Chinese side departed from the consensus.
“Given its responsible approach to border management, India is very clear that all its activities are always within the Indian side of the LAC. We expect the same of the Chinese side,” the statement said.
A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said two Indian soldiers crossed into Chinese territory twice on Monday, but added that he has no relevant information on the face-off that killed the three Indian soldiers.
Two Indian soldiers crossed into Chinese territory twice on June 15 in a serious violation of the consensus reached earlier
China has protested the incident to India
China demands India restrict frontline soldiers and avoid unilateral moves that will complicate the border situation
No relevant information on the face-off that led to the killing of the three Indian soldiers