Get App
Download App Scanner
Scan to Download
Advertisement
This Article is From Apr 04, 2019

New Zealand Mosque Gunman to Face 50 Murder Charges, Police Say

(Bloomberg) -- The gunman accused of carrying out New Zealand's worst massacre in modern history will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted-murder charges when he appears in court on Friday, police said.

A 28-year-old Australian wielding modified semi-automatics allegedly opened fire in two Christchurch mosques last month during afternoon prayers and live-streamed the attack to social media.

The terrorist atrocity spurred the government to ban military style semi-automatics and assault rifles and announce a nationwide buyback of the weapons.

The man will appear in the High Court in Christchurch tomorrow, police said in a statement, adding that “other charges are still under consideration.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Edward Johnson in Sydney at ejohnson28@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Edward Johnson at ejohnson28@bloomberg.net, Peter Vercoe

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Newsletters

Update Email
to get newsletters straight to your inbox
⚠️ Add your Email ID to receive Newsletters
Note: You will be signed up automatically after adding email

News for You

Set as Trusted Source
on Google Search