UAE Says Drones That Targeted Barakah Nuclear Plant Were Launched From Iraq

UAE officials described the attacks as "terrorist attacks" and warned that the country reserves the right to respond.

Advertisement
Read Time: 2 mins
UAE blamed Iraq-origin drones for the Barakah nuclear plant attack and intercepted six hostile drones later.
Photo Source: Visionergeo/X

The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday said that drones involved in the attack on the Barakah nuclear power plant earlier this week were launched from Iraqi territory, according to statements from the UAE Ministry of Defence.

The ministry said investigations and technical tracking confirmed that the three drones involved in the May 17 attack,  including one that struck an electricity generator outside the plant's inner perimeter, originated from Iraq. Two of the drones were intercepted before impact, it added.

Advertisement

ALSO READ | 'Unacceptable, Deeply Concerned': India's First Reaction As UAE's Barakah Nuclear Facility 'Hit With Drone'

The UAE also said its air defence systems intercepted six hostile drones over the past 48 hours that attempted to target civilian areas and critical infrastructure across the country.

In a statement, the Ministry of Defence said the drones were “successfully detected and neutralised with the highest levels of readiness and operational efficiency,” adding that no casualties or damage to vital facilities were reported.

Advertisement

“As part of the ongoing investigations into the blatant attack on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on May 17, 2026, technical tracking and monitoring results confirmed that the three drones, two of which were successfully engaged, while the third struck a generator outside the plant's perimeter on that date, as well as the drones subsequently intercepted, all originated from Iraqi territory,” the statement said. 

The ministry said the Barakah incident caused a fire after one drone hit a generator located outside the nuclear plant's protected inner zone.

Advertisement

ALSO READ | Iran To Hit Gulf Refineries, Houthis To Shut Bab el-Mandeb If US Resumes War, Says Report

Reaffirming Abu Dhabi's position, the ministry said the UAE “retains the full right to take all necessary measures to protect its sovereignty and national security in accordance with international laws and conventions.”

Emirati officials described the attacks as “terrorist attacks” and warned that the country reserves the right to respond.

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Loading...