Neeraj Pandey Withdraws 'Ghooskhor Pandat' Title, Supreme Court Closes Case

Filmmaker Neeraj Pandey assured the bench that the new title, which is yet to be finalised, will not be similar to or evocative of the withdrawn one.

Advertisement
Read Time: 3 mins
Manoj Bajpayee in the film
Image: NetflixIndia

Filmmaker Neeraj Pandey has formally withdrawn the title 'Ghooskhor Pandat' for his upcoming film, following which the Supreme Court on February 19 disposed of the petition challenging the project. A bench of Justices B V Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan took on record the producer's affidavit and said it expected the controversy to now come to an end.

In his submission, Pandey stated that the earlier title had been “unequivocally withdrawn” and would not be used in any manner. He informed the court that all publicity material released under the disputed name — including the teaser, posters and digital promotions — had already been removed soon after objections were raised. He also assured the bench that the new title, which is yet to be finalised, will not be similar to or evocative of the withdrawn one and will accurately reflect the film's story.

Advertisement

The filmmaker emphasised that there was no intention to hurt the sentiments of any religion, caste or community. He clarified that the Manoj Bajpayee-starrer is a fictional police drama based on a criminal investigation and does not depict any group in a negative light. In the affidavit, he said neither he nor his production house had any deliberate or malicious intent to outrage religious feelings.

The matter had reached the apex court through a public interest litigation that objected to the title for allegedly linking a caste identifier with corruption and promoting a defamatory stereotype against the Brahmin community. During the earlier hearing on February 12, the Supreme Court had come down strongly on the filmmakers, observing that freedom of speech and expression cannot be used to denigrate any section of society. The court had issued notices to the Centre, the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) and the filmmaker, and made it clear that the film would not be allowed to release unless the title was changed.

Advertisement

A similar plea had previously been filed in the Delhi High Court, which disposed of the case after recording the undertaking that the title would be altered.

With the Supreme Court now accepting the affidavit and closing the proceedings, the makers are expected to move forward with a new title and a fresh round of promotions for the streaming release.

Advertisement

Also Read: INCA Awards To Make Grand Debut In April 2026 In Mumbai

Essential Business Intelligence, Continuous LIVE TV, Sharp Market Insights, Practical Personal Finance Advice and Latest Stories — On NDTV Profit.

Loading...